Friday, May 2, 2008

"overheard"


when i took a break from working tonight so i could eat a bowl of ice cream with a brownie (and washed down with a big glass of milk), i was reading MSN's gossip column. yes, i like to skim over the latest gossip and see what stupid things britney has been doing lately. (truth be told, it makes me sad, but i still read...)

here's a huge treat to find sitting in all that muck and mire:

"Susan sarandon doesn't just look good for her age (61, if you can believe it) -- she looks good for any age. And she hasn't even had to resort to injecting toxins into her face. 'You can see I haven't had Botox [or] these [frown lines] would be gone,' the actress points out to People. 'I can't afford to have my face not moving.' Sarandon insists she's 'not against' plastic surgery, but has a problem with certain youth-preserving procedures, including "exaggerated lip plumping." 'I hope by the time you're 30, you ... stop worrying about how you look and try to worry about the kind of person that you are,' she sagely advises. 'It's more productive to learn how to live your life and to be joyful than to worry about if your thighs are getting fat.'"

on Monday, i made a commitment to myself that I would work out every day of the week (monday through friday). i'm using Denise Austin DVDs (her yoga & pilates ones), because pretty much every night lately i have laid in bed obsessing about how fat i am. i hate this part about being a woman. i hate how when i look in the mirror my brain won't let my eyes see the way i really look: i inevitably see myself as disgusting, repulsive, fill in the blank with any other number of negative adjectives.

so i am thankful to have read sarandon's words--it really is better for me to be focusing on how i live my life and to find joy in living and stop worrying about whether i can lose another pound (or 20). i'll confess now, though, that i don't think i'm at the point where i can really do this. in theory it sounds amazing though...

1 comment:

Karin said...

What great words. She always has such a stong voice. I really like this quote..."I hope by the time you're 30, you ... stop worrying about how you look and try to worry about the kind of person that you are" I WANT to live like my mind and heart matter more than my body, but it's a struggle for me, too. Way to go on the exercise commitment.