Thursday, January 8, 2009

dreamy...


there's a cool breeze today. the back door is open, and the kids are out on the deck, playing, laughing, waiting. 

after school, we mixed, worked, big hands, little hands. working together.

the smell of chocolate, sugar, vanilla floats by me. i breathe in, savor this moment.

(sound of record scratching)...WAKE UP, KRISTI!

ok, i can smell cookies baking, but i hear fighting outside, harsh words, fake crying. inside, i see a messy kitchen, feel the weight of the cookie dough i've already consumed making my stomach a slight bit queasy...and there was no teamwork involved in the cookie making. only "me first! can i have some? move out of my WAY. i'm tired. are they ready yet?"

but i can dream, right? :)

and these cookies are dreamy. you probably already have the recipe, but just in case you need them today, use them in place of calgon, and let them take you away...

the ultimate chocolate chip cookie (from the ghirardelli website)

1 bag 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
2 1/4 cup unsifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir flour with baking soda and salt; set aside. In large mixer bowl, cream butter with sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Gradually blend dry mixture into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
 

3 comments:

Kristin said...

very poetic, there for a moment. You're definitely a writer. I FELT the mood. Loved the dream sequence! Even heard the dreaminess come to a screeching halt. Back to life, back to reality! But, aren't you glad you have the kiddos and the cookies?:)

Anonymous said...

I echo Kristin - brilliant! Totally fooled by the dream sequence (and envious too, sitting here with freezing hands from -5 degrees dog walk, surrrounded by a messy kitchen i promised myself I would tidy before looking at the 'puter!)
Real life - don't you just love it :)

Karin said...

I can't believe these cookies have 2 sticks of butter. I'm kind of scared to try them because I know I will eat 1/2 of the batch and they will go straight to my butt!!